Friday, 30 August 2013

Log cabin finish

I have been meaning to share this for a while, a log cabin finish.
I blogged about making it here, inspired by a Fons and Porter free ebook
I made this log cabin quilt.
I quilted it with a combination of free motion and straight line quilting. 
I quilted an all over flower and swirly motif in the center panel
 and then some straight lines on the white triangles at the edges.
 
 I even tried - for the first time ever - a feather border!
 It was very challenging - something that will take a whole lot more practice! 
 I still struggle to look at my quilting and feel happy with it.
Maybe it's not perfect, I definitely will not win any competitions for quilting!
But it feels good to make a quilt top and complete it yourself!
Do you hand quilt, machine quilt or send it to a long arm quilter?
What's your preference?

10 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Nothing is perfect and anything handmade with any sort of imperfection only makes it more original and one-of-a-kind!! I hand quilt all my projects and love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous! I like to hand quilt mine, unless I am in a major rush

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely modern log cabins K! If I had the budget I would get every single quilt long armed! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to only hand quilt but am trying to FMQ my way through a backlog of UFOs which happens to be a great way to practice! I'm still learning! Never put a quilt out for quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely and I totally hear you on the quilting. I always quilt myself on my machine, or hand quilt which I adore but lately have been thinking about sending one out to be quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quilting is my least fave part of the process. Having just finished my first hand-quilted quilt I'd like to try that again, but usually I just machine quilt and wish I could win the lottery to send them out for quilting. Although, my head would struggle to convince myself that I had made the quilt if I didn't do the quilting myself. Mind you, if I had the funds, I could maybe talk my head around - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, forgot to say how lovely our quilt is. Really like that take on the log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing in this article
    I can learn a lot and could also be a reference
    I am happy to find your website and can join to comment
    I think is very valuable to be able to read your writing, and on this occasion will I use for my reference source
    Thank you so much for sharing, I hope you continue to write spirit next topic
    bbm windows phone harga galaxy s5 harga nokia x harga asus zenfone harga lenovo golden warrior s8 harga philips w6618 obat kuat vimax semarang

    ReplyDelete