On Sunday we visited the old jail in Armagh city. It has been closed since 1986, but Saturday and Sunday were European Heritage Open Days, when some buildings which are not normally open to the public can be viewed. The jail sits at one end of the Mall in Armagh city.
(The courthouse sits at the other end!)
The original jail was built in 1780.
Pretty small cell?
Next we visited the home of the man who was responsible for building the jail and many other public buildings in Armagh, Archbishop Robinson. He had this grand house built on a 300 acre site 1768-70.
And of course being an Archbishop he needed his own private Church beside his house!
...and maybe a few modest paintings for the entrance hall!